Sunday, August 21, 2011

Jesus and the Cross.

I went to church today. It was different than what I expected. Worship was great always will be. the message in youth service was different and really caught my attention. It snagged my heart so hard that I have questions, that need answers but I already know the answers. So what is the point of asking the questions?

Today in my youth service we had our secondary pastor Joel, talk to us.
We were studying Mark 15: 16-41.
Starting at verse 16: it talks about how the Romans treated Jesus, how they whipped him how they hurt him. To continue into the next section about how they Crucified him, how they suffocated him, how they brutally devoured his dignity and turned him into a laugh, a joke.
He died at the age of 30-35 no one knows for sure.
He was killed because he claimed to be king of the Jews. He claimed " I am ". They killed him because he was the son of God. They knew it but wouldn't admit it. The Pharisees and leaders of the temple hated him for being who he was and for making themselves look wrong, bad, and injustice like.

My youth leader asked us some very simple questions.
What is the cross?
What is your response to the cross?
Have you seen that he loves you?
Do you know that he is right next to you?

Joel started to then branch off and talk about Christians. How some people go to church, have church friends, and live to be what they want and still call themselves a Christian.
He made me think. It sounds like me. I know I am a Christian because I have accepted God as my savior, I have asked him into my heart, I have asked him to use me for his will.

I want you to think about this though.
God sent his son to be killed so that we wouldn't have to die like him. That we wouldn't be mocked and scorned, brutally injured. All because God loves us.
Jesus didn't want to die, he begged God to forgive the people he loved so much. God said no, and Jesus was facing spiritual separation from God at the time.
When he was on the cross. He asked God to "Forgive them" and "Why God have you forsaken me?"
We prayed and ended our church lesson.

On the way home, it was hard to focus, it was hard not to think about all the things I had just heard, all the things I FELT.
I felt to the lowest of lows, that I am nothing and yet God still loves me. He still cares for me that is why Jesus died.
I was given a whole new view of how God loved me.
But the subject my mind thought of most is that, I prosecuted Jesus. I killed him because I didn't want MY fathers love, I made fun of him, all the while he let me and then died for me.
He obeyed his father all because he loved him.
God loves me enough not to kill me. But to use his son as a sacrificial lamb.

No comments: